So guys, I got a work to make a birthday cake for a friend next month, so I thought to share to you guys how to make a cake, apart from designing it, which is of course a great work to do, I’ll start by listing the ingredients for making a cake, not that there are many types of cake, like chocolate cake, fruit cake and so on, but today am writing on fruit cake.
Ingredients for making a fruit cake
- Ripe banana
- Flavors(either vanilla, strawberry, banana)
- Baking powder
- Cream of Tata(optional)
The cream of Tata helps to hold the cake together and sometimes makes the cake to form little crumbs when eaten. The baking powder can be substituted by yeast; both are raising agents used in baking. Maybe you want your cake to be a little dark,that is when you go for chocolate color.
Guidelines to mixing a cake
A mistake might ruin the whole thing, so I advice that you add things bit by bit, if it requires testing to confirm before adding more ingredients please do.
- Get a bowl (bowl 1) to the bowl add butter(spare some for later) and sugar/ mix them together, mix them either by using anticlockwise or clockwise turning, make sure you maintain your direction so that their will be penetration of air, stir vigorously , stir till it becomes fluffy and has the texture of a body cream.
- Then add whisked eggs to the bowl (no separation of the egg white or yolk should be made) and stir till it has the texture of a body cream. Remember to add tings according to quantity needed. Then add the mixed fruit and stir
- Get a separate bowl (bowl 2), to the bowl add sieved flour, baking powder, flavor, cream of Tata and mix, add the already blended ripe banana to the mixture and stir.
- Then pour the things in the bowl 2 into bowl one and turn them together, if it’s too thick add a little water or liquid milk to it and stir.
- Then get a baking pan and rub butter on the inner walls of the baking pan(for easy removal after baking), transfer the unbaked cake inside the baking pan, preheat the oven and bake for 50 min or more.
Aids for success in cake making
There are some things that you need to do to make your cake spectacular, and they are:
- Always have all necessary utensils and ingredients collected before beginning to make the cake.
- Line cake tins carefully, ( rough lining affects the shape of the cake)
- Prepare the cake so that it is at a correct temperature.
- Follow instructions closely.
- Measure accurately.
- Cream butter and sugar thoroughly with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until light and fluffy and fairly white in color.
- Place cake in correct position in the oven.
- Do not open the oven door until when necessary.
- Test carefully for readiness by dipping a clean knife inside the cake, if the knife comes out clean, it shows that the cake is ready.
- Allow cake to cool in a cooling rack if laid on a solid board, it will become damp and sudden underneath.
Test for readiness of cake
- Open the oven carefully; just enough to test cake quickly.
- The cake should be well risen and evenly brown.
- Touch the surface lightly and if it seems to touch, the cake is cooked. If the impression of the finger remains the cake is not ready.
- Insert a warm skewer of the knife into the cake; if it comes out dry clean, then the cake is ready.
- If the cake is shrinking from the sides of the tin it is probably oven-baked.
Reasons for some common failure in cake making
- Coarse textured cake results from the use of too much raising agent.
- A damp and heavy cake may be due to:
Incorrect proportion of ingredient
Too much orange or lemon juice added to the mixture.
The oven is not hot enough
The cake has been cooled too rapidly making damp.
The cake may have been packed before it cooled.
A cake with a peaked top may be due to:
- Insufficient liquid
- Too hot an oven.
A delicious cake you got there I guess? Maybe next time I will write on cake décor which is applying icing to a cake, types of icing and designs.